Marketing and community onboarding is a very agile process, both from the operational standpoint and budget allocations. For example: small payments are a nuisance to drag though main governance. In addition to that, onboarding community members and various programs for that are a subjective strategy - basically, also not something one drags through the main committees. But all of these things are super important when growing a brand and a community! So, the goal of this proposal is to suggest a metaDAO [still within the GearboxDAO, just with some clear responsibilities] which will have a separate multisig with the quarterly budgets.
VIBES metaDAO Focus Points
Here are the main focus points of VIBES work:
Discord servers’ content is complicated. DeFi is hard. For new members, it’s practically impossible to be active and do anything around the DAO. Is that so bad? Well, a DAO doesn’t need 1000 workers. But a product DOES need 1000 users. And a great way of retention is to make users a part of your community, have great vibes, and so on. Make people come back, make people create visual content - let everyone have fun.
Brands have done it the best in real life. And crypto has so far not done much on this front (apart from NFT collections which are brands-only, basically). From other projects in DeFi, Yearn has popularized the attention with constant updates and hentai. Aave and Uniswap do cute branding. And OlympusDAO had great vibes. Vibes are important if you want to grow!
The proposal already lays out some of the community onboarding programs below. As for the budget, the suggested amount is 10M GEAR which corresponds to $150,000 worth at the DAO round price of 150M FDV [GEAR = $0.015]. This amount should initially suffice strong support for the Leverage Ninja and V2 launch, as well as subsequent weeks of activity. It could be that an extra top-up of the budget would be needed, or on the contrary - it would roll over to Q4. All the payments and processes would be reported to the community.
[a storyline sprinkle]
Where the ground was bare a year ago - now grass is growing, the sun is shining, and the DAO is developing. The big iron heart beats steadily like a clock. A group of robots believing in one common idea work every day and diligently develop the infrastructure. Like blood vessels, committees are connected to each other yet develop in parallel. The Citadel has many complex processes running every day, but all this work is transparent and open. If you feel that your skills can help - you will always be welcome. We’ve always said that newcomers are welcome and now we want to give the most creative travellers a chance to prove themselves. But first, we will have to test your knowledge. We wonder who will go first? This metaDAO should help with that!
A framework for such activities can be seen below.
Stage number zero. Beginning.
Much time and effort has been expended to build what is now before you. Of course, every main participant in the DAO Citadel would like respect for their work and proper responsibility, which is why travellers must prove to the main participants that they have enough knowledge to get a chance to prove themselves. What this means. Use our manifesto to soak up more knowledge and be ready with answers, every page counts. Docs
Stage One. Natural Selection.
A quest will be provided based on the results of which a rating of newcomers will be built.
Stage two. Greeting newcomers.
Community sessions in different regional groups. In each region, the core members of the DAO will provide introductory information for newcomers.
Stage Three. Mechanical punks.
Participants get new roles and access to closed channels. Now they can show what they can do for a chance at cool merch and GEAR. (If the participant joined later and could not take part in the first quest or failed the exam, he will be able to join later, waiting for a new quest)
POAP: for example, for a correctly completed quiz, POAP will be issued. Each of them will give a role in the discord.
Role: give access to POAP-only channels in which new members can be active.
Rating: the rating of participants will be implemented, the best participants will be rewarded.
Gamifying VIBES activities: make it fun yet educating
It’s mostly about non-technical activities, but a good understanding of how the protocol works will help you achieve better results. Not tech-hard, but also still focused on the product.
- Media contest
- Meme contest
- Creative contest
- Poker tournament and more games
- Raid support
How to become a robot supporter? What to do after I become one?
- A newcomer who wants to become part of the Gearbox DAO community has successfully passed the quiz and received the appropriate POAP.
- They got acquainted with the rules of conduct in the community.
- They create interesting content (meme, creative design, media and etc etc)
- They use the product, describes their experience, create high-quality twitter threads or articles with his own strategies, and learn from someone else’s experience. Committee of VIBES will be doing reviews of the successful experiences of other participants.
- Help the raid-shilling army. Join the raid ranks. Help promote the core ideas of the DAO. Reposts, comments, likes. The easy stuff that helps with growth nonetheless.
- Recording educational quality lessons in the regional language. Talk about the Gearbox protocol in your region, make quality reviews.
- Participate in discussions on proposals in the forum. Vote on the snapshot or delegate your GEARs to Gearbox DAO delegates. Or become one yourself.
- Participate in games and other activities.
- Invite new members, offer your own collaborations with the DAO you are already a member of.
- Be creative, create a vibe! We value quality contributions! Spam will be banned.
One part of the job is to make good content. Another part - is to spread it. Gearbox DAO already had a number of great contributors and community members who spread the word about the protocol and the DAO in the DeFi land across the platforms. However, growth never stops, and with the product releases especially - more eyes are needed.
That’s right, we are talking about Key Opinion Leaders [KOLs] who can create branded content, educate their communities about Gearbox, and so on. Not shilling shitcoins, but moving the product forward. That requires some compensations, be it in USDC or GEAR. In most cases, we would opt in to do GEAR compensations [to keep such contributors aligned with the DAO success], but in rare cases we could use USDC in small amounts.
- Higher twitter following. Of course, that assumes non-bots. Nobody is incentivized to game the KPIs as the compensations for workers are not currently based on any such stats.
- Higher twitter engagement.
- Higher Discord retention and more active chats.
- To increase general awareness and competence regarding use. By creating a learning funnel from airdrop hunter → active community member → user → advanced user.
- Increase brand awareness due to more mentions in various media resources.
- Creating a strong, active community around the project with a high degree of involvement.
- Get more feedback about the product and its advantages/disadvantages through regular surveys of active users.
For smaller payments concerning marketing, a new multisig will be established [to be added later]. 3/5 or 3/6 can be chosen for it from the most active members. The reporting on the spending would need to be presented by this metaDAO every month. In any case, the work of this metaDAO will be visible and transparent in one of the Citadel contributor channels 24/7.
Main members, and as a result, multisig signers for it can be proposed as:
- joel john:
- one member of the CN legend group [TBD]
The suggested amount is 10M GEAR which corresponds to $150,000 worth at the DAO round price of 150M FDV [GEAR = $0.015]. This amount should initially suffice strong support for the Leverage Ninja and V2 launch, as well as subsequent weeks of activity. It could be that an extra top-up of the budget would be needed, or on the contrary - it would roll over to Q4. All the payments and processes would be reported to the community.
For the USDC side, there is no contributor-operator budget currently needed as the main DAO takes care of that. As the main DAO scales, that will be done separately. Anyway, for now we would like to request $50,000 USDC for potential KOL payments in case they would be fully against taking in GEAR as a compensation. We would always prioritize the latter though.
There are currently no separate rewards for metaDAO members, but they may be in the future. DAO funding was discussed at a recent GIP